The tutorials and PlainTalk courses listed below provide excellent opportunities for participants to attain their personal development objectives. These courses are eligible for CEUs (Continuing Education Units). CEU certificates are useful for registered Professional Engineers in states where continuing education is required.
PLAIN TALK ABOUT THE ELECTRIC POWER INDUSTRY
PES PLAIN TALK courses aim to increase your understanding of the electric power system, how it operates and how it is evolving. PES PLAIN TALK courses for the power industry professional provide you with practical knowledge that you can use as you work in or with this important industry. These courses will help you to understand technical aspects of the electric power industry, even if you do not have an engineering background.
PES PLAIN TALK courses are co-located with the PES General Meeting and do not require conference registration; a separate registration is required. Each day begins at 7:30 am with registration/breakfast. The courses run from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm each day. There are single and multiple-course registration options.
Early Bird Registration ends June 25th, 2013.
- Power System Basics - Tuesday, July 23, 2013
- Distribution System - Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- Transmission System - Thursday, July 25, 2013
BOUNDARY SPANNING LEADERSHIP WORKSHOP
IEEE PES Women in Power present:
"Boundary Spanning Leadership" Workshop
July 21, 2013
“The question at the heart of Boundary Spanning Leadership is; how do we lead in a world where boundaries – characterized by wide-ranging differences in values, priorities, and cultures - collide, intersect, and link on a daily basis? As human beings, we all have needs for both unity and separation, autonomy and affiliation, differentiation and integration. Leaders must learn to constantly balance these competing needs. During the People in Aid workshop, we’ll explore a more contemporary approach where you first manage boundaries to forge common ground to ultimately discover new and innovative frontiers.”
What is creative leadership? It's the capacity to think and act beyond the boundaries that limit our effectiveness. Every leader and organization faces obstacles that are difficult to surmount - from corporate executives confronting the complex global marketplace to educators trying to lift student achievement to nonprofit groups and government agencies addressing critical social issues with tight budgets.
For more information and to register: https://event-wizard.com/WiPWorkshopVanBCJuly2013/0/welcome/
PES Tutorials offered at the General Meeting cover a range of topics. Choose from:
- Six half-day tutorials. These include a variety of tutorials covering Smart Grid topics: DOE's 7 Traits, Implementation and Lessons Learned, Microgrids, Distribution, and Distributed Energy Resources, as well as a tutorial on Distribution Overcurrent Protection and Coordination
- Seven full day tutorials encompassing a wide range of topics of interest to engineers, including Power Quality, Operation of Electricity Markets, Energy Forecasting, Application of IEC CIM Standards, Synchrophasor Fundamentals and Applications, Gas Insulated Lines, and Renewable Energy Plant Design.
Tutorials are part of the General Meeting. An additional registration fee is required in addition to the conference fee.