2017 Student Industry Faculty Luncheon and Job Fair IEEE PES General Meeting, July 19th
Preparing students for power and energy engineering careers, and connecting top quality students with potential employers are driving objectives for the Student Industry Faculty Luncheon with the Job Fair for Students at the IEEE PES General Meeting which will be held at the Sheraton Grand Chicago Hotel, July 2017. The job fair provides a forum for employers and students who share a common interest in the power and energy industry to meet and discuss career opportunities. The format of the job fair is designed to enable one-to-one conversations between students and company engineers.
Current Company Luncheon Supporters and Job Fair Participants (as of 3/23/17 - more to come!)
- Burns & McDonnell
- Com Ed
- K-Line Insulators Limited
- National Grid
- OPAL RT Technologies
- RTDS Technologies
- S&C Electric
Luncheon: 11:45-1:30 p.m., Wednesday, 19 July
During the luncheon, awards will be given to the students who entered the highest-scoring posters in the Student Poster Competition. Scholarship awardees will be introduced. A keynote address will provide insights on opportunities and challenges facing future power engineers as they prepare for their careers and seek to make a difference in the world. Recognition will be given to companies sponsoring a luncheon table, General Meeting supporters, and donators to the PES undergraduate scholarship program. Luncheon tickets can be purchased at the General Meeting on-line registration site or, if seating is available, on-site.
Job Fair: 1:30-3:00 p.m. following the luncheon
To maximize student attendance, the job fair is open to all students, not just luncheon attendees. Also, no extra ticket is required to attend the job fair!
Students may sit at luncheon tables with representatives of sponsoring companies on a space-available basis - first-come, first-served. After lunch, students may circulate among job fair tables of all the companies. Students may also visit with senior PES members who are volunteering as career resource advisors, each of whom will at a small table in the job fair area.
|Lively conversations between employers and students occur during the luncheon and job fair. Company engineers attending the General Meeting often represent their companies. Over two hundred students are expected to meet with company representatives during the 2017 General Meeting.||Students also talk with senior PES members who serve as career advisors during the job fair. Students ask wide-ranging career questions including about which companies they should explore career opportunities.|
Connecting Students with Potential Employers
Employers - why should you purchase a luncheon table and participate in the job fair?
- Connect with top students. Increasing awareness of your company and its career opportunities will be a win-win for the students and your company. All the students are PES members and many of them are graduate students presenting posters or papers at the General Meeting. More than 225 students are expected to participate in the job fair.
- Advertise your company and its support of students! Companies participating in the luncheon and job fair will be listed on the PES General Meeting website and acknowledged during the luncheon!
- Easy to participate. The job fair set-up is simple – mainly just a literature table. Recruiters do not have to attend - PES members attending the General Meeting can be the company representatives. The engineering students at the General Meeting like talking with company engineers, too.
- Service to the industry as a whole. The industry is facing an exodus of retiring engineers while needing engineers educated in new competencies for the modern grid. Interactions with students at the luncheon and job fair will help the students get excited about and committed to power and energy engineering careers.
- Encourage professionalism. This is an opportunity to encourage students to see the value of continuing to advance their professionalism throughout their careers through PES membership.
Any company sponsoring a table at the luncheon may participate in the job fair. These sponsorships make this student program possible and show that the sponsoring companies care about students. The cost to sponsor a luncheon table is $1,000. Platinum, Gold, and Silver Supporters of the General Meeting also may have luncheon and literature tables at the job fair without additional cost.
The suggested company representatives are engineers who are attending the General Meeting. Company HR recruiters may attend if desired. Two luncheon tickets will be provided to each luncheon table sponsor. Platinum, Gold and Silver Supporters receive five, four, or two luncheon tickets respectively. More tickets may be purchased by company representatives if available. Of course, any person registering for the General Meeting may purchase a ticket in advance. Registration for the General Meeting is not required of HR recruiters only attending the luncheon and job fair. Name tags will be provided.
A luncheon table and a literature table in the job fair will be provided to each luncheon table sponsor. There will be signage to help students find companies. To simplify the fair, flags, signs, display boards, and booths will not even be allowed. Company tablecloths may be used though.
Literature Table Set-up
The job fair area opens at 11:00 a.m. for sponsors and supporters.
Join us for exciting conversations with students about career opportunities in power and energy engineering.