Health & Safety
2020 PES General Meeting – Venue Change due to COVID-19 Concerns
The safety and well-being of all conference participants is our priority. IEEE has been monitoring the developing COVID-19 pandemic (Coronavirus).
After studying and evaluating the announcements, guidance, and news released by relevant government and health authorities, we are sorry to announce that the in-person gathering of the 2020 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, scheduled to be held 2 - 6 August in Montreal, Canada has been changed to a virtual event to be held on the same dates. Information of the virtual platform will be confirmed shortly.
Additionally, precise guidelines for all authors (papers/posters) will also be available. All authors will need to adhere to the guidelines so their work is presented at IEEE PES GM 2020 allowing it to be published via posting on IEEE Xplore. The conference website will be updated progressively to reflect the above changes.
We extend our heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all of our technical community for your understanding and community engagement. Although the IEEE PES GM cannot be held physically, the integrity and quality of the content will remain and now be experienced in the virtual environment.
Thank you for your support of our shared mission to be the leading provider of scientific and engineering information on electric power and energy for the betterment of society.
ATTENDEE HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
We look forward to seeing you at 2020 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting! The health and safety of all attendees is our primary goal. To ensure the well-being of all event participants, we have assembled the following guidelines to provide a safe and enjoyable experience.
BEFORE THE EVENT
- Be sure to write down the name and contact information of the event venue and your assigned hotel.
- Palais des congrès de Montréal
1001 Jean Paul Riopelle Pl Montreal, QC H2Z 1H5 Canada Phone: +1 514-871-8122
- DoubleTree by Hilton Montreal
1255 Jeanne-Mance St Montreal, Quebec H5B 1E5, Canada Phone: +1 514-285-1450
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Montreal
208 Saint-Antoine St W Montreal, Quebec H2Y 0A6, Canada Phone: +1 514-288-8886
- InterContinental Montreal
360 Saint-Antoine St W Montreal, Quebec H2Y 3X4, Canada Phone: +1 514-987-9900
- Le Westin Montreal
270 Saint-Antoine St W Montreal, Quebec H2Y 0A3 Phone: +1 514-380-3333
- Palais des congrès de Montréal
- Share your plans. Advise a family member or friend of your travel plans, including the dates you will be gone, how you will travel to the meeting, and where you are staying
- Research your destination and review requirements for entry/exit, visa requirements, local laws, customs, medical care etc. If traveling abroad, note the location of the embassy or consulate of your home country. (source: U.S. Department of State)
- Inform your bank and credit card companies of your travel plans and familiarize yourself with the local currency.
- Keep medications in your carry-on luggage
- Make at least two photocopies of all your travel documents (passport, driver’s license, credit cards, etc.). Leave one copy with a trusted person at home and carry the other separately from your original documents.
- Keep your passport separate from your wallet to avoid theft. Do not carry your passport in your back pocket.
The World Health Organization (WHO) offers the following health guidance to help you prepare for your trip.
- Read up on your destination (local diseases, packing recommendations, and preventative medications)
- If traveling internationally, contact a travel medicine center or a physician, preferably 4–8 weeks before departure to receive any required vaccinations
- Obtain prescriptions for your medications and assemble a suitable medical kit
Please visit the World Health Organization’s website for any travel advisories for your destination prior to your trip.
DURING THE EVENT
- Protect your identity. Wear your name badge only inside the meeting and convention facility; remove and secure your name badge when going to and from the meeting; when disposing of your name badge, scratch out or destroy your name and the QR code to protect your personal information;
- Plan for an emergency. Be aware of your surroundings. Know where the nearest existsare located. Use the buddy system. Exchange contact information with another meeting attendee. In the event of an emergency, agree where you will meet up. Call for help if your buddy doesn’t meet up at the agreed location within a reasonable amount of time.
- See something, say something. If you see something that raises a safety or security concern, please say something
- Keep a close eye on your belongings at all times. Avoid leaving bags on the ground or over the back of your chair.
- Report any lost/stolen property or ID documents immediately by calling the local authorities. Promptly cancel any lost or stolen credit cards.
- Do not leave beverages unattended and do not accept food or drinks from people you do not know
- Lock your vehicle and secure any valuables
- Do not indicate your room number on your hotel key
- If you or a fellow participant require medical assistance during the event, immediately inform the Security Operations Centre of the Palais des congrès (ext. 555 or 514-871-3141)
- Carry documentation of medications, allergies, and blood type. Wear your medical alert bracelet if you have one.
- Follow the World Health Organization’s (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) guidelines to prevent the spread of infectious diseases at the event:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds or use an alcoholbased hand sanitizer
- Maintain social distancing (1 meter/3 feet) between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth
- When coughing and sneezing, cover mouth with flexed elbow or tissue. Throw tissue into closed bin immediately after use.
- If you have fever, cough, and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early
- Stay informed and follow advice given by your healthcare provider
- If an emergency occurs, please contact the Security Operations Centre of the Palais des congrès immediately by dialing ext. 555 or 514-871-3141
- For non-emergency situations please call the Security Operations Centre of the Palais des congrès (ext. 555 or 514-871-3141)
- If you hear an alarm, please evacuate the facility immediately in a calm and orderly fashion. Pay close attention to your surroundings.
- Follow all directions from emergency personnel and event staff.
Below find the contact information of the hospitals with emergency rooms closest to our event. If you are venturing outside of the event venue, please note that there may be closer hospitals. In an emergency, always contact the Security Operations Centre of the Palais des congrès (ext. 555 or 514-871-3141)
Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM)
- 900 rue Saint-Denis, Montréal, QC H2X 0A9
- McGill University Health Centre (MUHC)
- 1001 Décarie, Montréal, QC H4A 3J1